After using Radio Userland for the last 6+ years of blogging, I have finally completed my migration to WordPress.Â Well … mostly.Â I’m still working out the kinks, and I’m still working on my new WordPress2Blogger bridge which will mirror my posts – based on categories – to my bloggger.com blogs.
Overall, it was a real pain.Â I’m not looking forward to having to do this again.Â I had some time to work on it over the last couple of weeks, and had actually done most of the ground work.Â I am thinking that I’ll outline some of the steps and issues that I ent through to accomplish this.
- Export the Radio database to a RSS.XML file.Â To do this I first located a tool for Radio called the backLogAllRSS tool written by Steve Hooker.Â After installing it, I found that I actually had to hack the code … it turns out that any post that did not include *any* category would not be exported to the RSS.XML file.Â (If you really want my hacked tool, contact me … I’ll post it someplace!)Â Once I figured that out, and had hacked the code, I then exported all of my categories, and made sure that the Auto paragraphs options was *not* checked.
- Edit the exported RSS.XML.Â When I got all of my posts exported, I then had to do a global search and replace on one thing … the apostrophes.Â Radio had escaped them all to be “'” and for some reason the WordPress import did not return them to being an apostrophe.
- Import into WordPress.Â I ought to mention now that I only learned about the code hacking and global search and replace after numerous failed imports.Â Well … they worked, but what I got what not formatted properly, or has the escaped characters.Â Or … lots of posts were missing because they were not in a category.Â By about the 8th or 10 import I was finally getting close.Â I was using the RSS Import capability, under the Import menu in WordPress.Â I actually thought I was done.Â Until I noticed that the dates and times on all of the imported posts were wrong!Â It turns out that although the Radio tool exports all of the posts with the proper data and time adjusted to GMT … and labeled as such … the WordPress RSS Import seems to ignore the “GMT” designation and just assumes that you are importing from your time zone.Â So now I had to hack the WordPress RSS Import code to add the proper offset of seconds to each post being imported.Â Again … if someone really wants my WordPress RSS Import hack,, let me know and I’ll send it to you.
In the end, it was an interesting exercise.Â I’m actually going to do it again, since my father is still using Radio and I’m now going to migrate him over to WordPress.Â I’ll see if there is anything that I left out in the steps.
One thing that I have to admit is that I truly enjoy the breadth of plug-ins for WordPress!Â I’ve already found useful ones like the “delete post database” plug-in … this one is very helpful when you import 6+ years of posts and the formatting is all screwed up!Â I also found a great Tag plug-in, and then a good basis for my upcoming blogger.com plug-in which worked with their old API.
I’m sure that I’ll learn more … I’m just glad to have it done!Â Now, I just have to learn how to get Onfolio to post to WordPress … I like the aggregator, and want to use it to post!